Thursday, March 13, 2008

Operation: Unswaddle... Successful!

Well, I have been stressing about how we were going to wean Kate off of swaddling. I was having nightmares; visions of being up all night with a crying, flailing-armed baby. I was avoiding it at all costs thinking, "Maybe we can swaddle her until she leaves for college".

Fortunately for us, she decided she was ready on her own. Tuesday night, she woke around 1:00am to eat and I wrapped her up to put her back to bed. She would not go back to sleep, so I rocked her in the glider for a while, thinking she would succumb to sleep. As we rocked, she never stopped fighting to break her arms free from the swaddle. So, I unwrapped her and wrapped the blanket just around her body with her arms free... and she slept! For 5 hours, woohoo!

*Sidenote: Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer" was just dubbed the #1 song of the 80's on VH1 and I have to say, that is a pretty good pick.*

So... she is growing and learning and changing everyday. i am looking forward to the day she is totally independent from the swaddle and we can just plop her in her crib and let her soothe herself off to sleep! I don't want her to grow up too fast, though... she's still my little sweet pea!

No comments: